Whosonfirst's Check In & Exercise Log

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:13 pm

oolala53 wrote:Very impressed with consistent exercise and 80% compliance. You are so far ahead of the game compared to the average bear! That would be me.
Oolala, don't be so hard on yourself. You've been like a standard bearer on here. EVERBODY has relapses, including moi. The successful people pick themselves up and carry on. I've been somewhat lucky in that I've never been one to binge, except maybe on Oreo cookies and Reece's peanut butter cups as a boy. As to my consistent exercise routine, that has been my mental therapy over the years. Crank up the rock or even jazz and do your thing. I hope you're enjoying your new retirement.
Weekly goal = Five Green days in a row. I do a BMI check by looking in a mirror.
Orig. SW(7/2016)= 226/ SW(reboot) =217-3/7/2018
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4A-zlrYSA0

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:20 pm

Thanks! I've been having trouble with my hip joints, but I know I could do SOME movements and we both know consistency is the major factor.
Count plates, not calories. Three a day. 9 years & counting
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:31 pm

Whosonfirst wrote:1/1/19-Tues(Happy New Year)
early a.m. Five Tibetan rites x 21; walk later, missed yesterday, it rained all day. Did start doing Sun Salutations yesterday in p.m. -my flexibility is pretty bad it seems.
New Year's goals:
Walk every day @> 95% success rate.
Get my NoS compliance rate above 80%; biggest failure is occasional snacking. I'm planning on removing my goal weight from my sig line, since it's not even a secondary or tertiary? goal any longer. Will continue to use fruit as a mod when needed.
Continue to improve on accoustic guitar. By end of year, I want to learn the following songs: Blackbird, American Woman(electric), one Chuck Berry song(electric); and Anji(this seems like the biggest stretch). Very satisfied with my improvement this past year, my two year starting point will be in April with a few months off after shoulder work.
Try to get my dear wife doing a daily short walk, even if it's just to end of our dead end street and back. She's the one who actually got me interested in walking when I gave up jogging. Will be more difficult than learning Blackbird.
1/5-Sat
early a.m. Five Tibetans; I dialed back the reps to about 14-17 from 21. Decided trying to endure pain in my wrists wasn't worth it. Hopefully they adapt again.
p.m. rain stopped finally,so Gus and I did his walk much to his delight. This past week on NoS, being a short Holiday week was hit and miss. Need to stock up on my fruit mods to make it succeed. I had intended to add reducing coffee consumption on year's goals. That would have been a big bust this past week.
1/6-Sun
a.m. Walked Gus abt. 1.5M- p.m.-Five Tibetans, couldn't get motivated for them right out of bed this morning. So far I've learned the intro, first line of verse and ending of Blackbird, not perfect by any means.
1/15-Tues
no walk or Five Tibetans today. first walk missed in about a month.
Lunch was tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwich with bacon, chicken and mushrooms. Dinner was roast beef, carrots & baby potatoes done in crock pot, one of my favorites, two slices of day old french bread with it. Hope to get Tibetans done tomorrow morn, been fighting off cold, unfortunately gave it to my wife:(
1/16-Wed
really early a.m. Five Tibetans. Later walked 1.5+M with Gus-no wind. English muffin, strawberry preserves, oatmeal for breakfast.
Dinner -Texas style chicken, baked potato w/sour cream, and peas. Mango Wheat ale before dinner. did a few pullups and pushups cable curls in p.m.
1/17 &1/18-Thur/Fri
No Five Tibetans yesterday, woke up with sinus headache, but managed walk with Gus later.
Reversed it on Friday, did my Five Tibetans early, and after clearing light snow, didn't walk today, but left Gus run around in snow while I cleared it, so he got some light exercise. Sounds like more snow,sleet and rain on forecast for tomorrow. Eng. muffin, strawberry preserves and oatmeal for breakfast; Cream of crab soup for dinner and cheeseburger. Mango wheat ale before dinner.
1/19-Sat
a.m.-Walked Gus before next storm-1.5+M. Doing 5 Tbtns later on, with a few pushups and pullups. Recd news that we lost another 50 yr. h.s. classmate and Vietnam veteran this week. He actually fell while in the hospital and broke a temporal bone in his head and the blood clot was fatal. RIP Tom.
1/20-Sun
p.m. Cold walk, high winds, only 1M
1/21-Mon. Temps were 7 degr. F this morning with wind, -17! No walk today.Dinner was Bratwurst sandwich and mac-n-cheese
1/22-Tues-skipped Five Tibetn again, sore back for some reason-Took Gus on cold walk but no wind-a balmy 13 degrs F. Wrong shoes and toes got cold, so I slow jogged about 2 blocks.Making decent progress on Blackbird and surprisingly almost have the first part of Anji too. A year back, these were both too difficult. Not that it has anything to do with NoS but also learning Born Under a Bad Sign on electric by Albert King-love the feel of this old song. My approach to learning songs is have several in different stages of development which is contrary to what most teachers tell newer students. I credit my decades on piano for this approach to learning. Everybody needs to do what works for them, including NoS.
Squeezed Five Tibetans into afternoon workout.
1/23-Wed-a.m. Walked Gus 1.5+M. p.m. -Five Tbtns + pushups/cable curls/Ovhd presses.
1/25, 1/26- Fri, Sat-Got our longer walks in both days after it rained all day on Thur. Missed other exercises on Thu/Fri. NoS compliance still about 80% or less. Only 100% compliance has been guitar practice/playing. Finding I'm not enjoying consulting work during retirement. May pull the plug in the next month or two, we'll see.
pm- Five Tibetans, pushups, cable curls, pullups.
1/27-Sun
a.m.-Walked 1.5M with doggie, p.m. Five Tibetans +pushups/pullups/cable curls. Looking forward to NoS to close out month.
1/28-Mon
a.m. Walked Gus 1.5M 28 degr F but very light winds. Missed doing my other routines. Ate lightly today, for no good reason.Drank too much coffee, no beer.Thinking of giving shovelglove a try during these cold winter months. My regular "gym" is located in our unheated garage and last week it was in the single digits here in Pa. But I would occasionally run a little ceramic heater. I could easily do shovelglove in the house in the winter. And I think the SG moves may speed my rehab on my shoulder, which is still weak.
1/29-Tues-Walked in a.m. with Gus. Wed/Thur. supposed to be very cold at low single digits with wind chill, so maybe i'll get shovelglove started, since shoveling will be the order of business tomorrow morning. Home made pizza for dinner, my granddaughter made with it grandma, was pretty good.
1/30-Wed-12 degrees now in bright sun. No walks today, but shoveled earlier and my fingers were numb even with my heavy gloves. Gus went out with me, and after touring the yard, he went up onto deck standing at doors to go back inside. At least cold burns extra cals, lol. p.m. Five Tibetans abbreviated, plus pushups, bwt squats and cable curls and presses.
1/31-Thurs.a.m. too cold to walk, temps at zero to one degree F. I woke up to cold water in kitchen sink froze up. So after about three attemps involving a hair dryer, ceramic heater, a drill and hole saw, I finally solved it. Now I have to patch a couple of holes under sink, probably with screening(wife's suggestion) to allow heat to get into the wall where pipes are located.
p.m. Walked about half usual with Gus, worried about his paws, bright sun, he loved prancing in the snow. I have to admit that bright sun and snow with crisp air lightened my mood.
Five Tibetans afterwards, pushups, squats and cable curls. P/u's starting to feel like before my injury but still weak. Will do an apple for my afternoon Mod, maybe with chamomile tea.
Weekly goal = Five Green days in a row. I do a BMI check by looking in a mirror.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

Whosonfirst

Feb-2019

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:51 pm

Feb. 1-Friday.-Glad Jan. has passed. It's our daughter's birthday and it's snowing appropriately. We brought her home from hospital in one of the worst storms of that year. I need to improve my NoS performance this month. Not been using my fruit mods as well I could have. I also want to get more herbal tea(s) which seem to help. The wife is doing well with her Phy Thpy, they're working to improve her balance issues, she comes home pretty wiped out. Rooting for the Rams in the Super Bowl, although I'd never bet against the Patriots.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:59 am

My mother was from a small city outside Boston, so you can tell who we had to root for. Funny how those things hang on. And speaking of, her birthday was the first, too. She would have been 102 years old today. She nearly made it to 90.

Happy birthday to your daughter! And good luck with your improved compliance this month.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:14 pm

Feb 2-Groundhog day in Punxsutawney, Pa. Punx. Phil didn't see his shadow, so he's predicting an early spring-TG. It pretty much snowed all day here yesterday, although it didn't amount to much more than a few inches, maybe 3 or 4.
Thanks for the good wishes oolala. Happy Birthday to your mother as well. We always note our parents' birthdays even though no longer with us.
My day yesterday was a wash for exercise except about 20 minutes of light shoveling(and staying warm). Trying to buy a new car battery for our SUV pretty much took a couple hours. 1st, Walmart didn't have one in stock, but nice lady recommended Advance Auto, which is only 1/2 mile away. So I bought one there, and young clerk said he couldn't install it?? So I took it home and commenced putting it in, on the driveway in the falling snow. Had to stop because I needed a real long extension for my ratchet to reach a hidden bolt. Went back to Walmart to get it installed for $10. Mechanic comes back inside and informs me that Advance sold me the wrong battery. Then back to Advance, older clerk named Paco shakes his head and gets me the correct battery. I ask why they don't install this particular battery, he shakes his head again and tells me to pull car up in front of store. ten minutes later I get it installed free of charge, so I tip Paco for making this happen. All of this didn't do wonders for my NoS compliance.

2/2/19-a.m. Cold snowy walk with Gus-no wind, temp is -6 degr. F. Very pretty outside, the packed snow reflects like diamond crystals in sun. About half the sidewalks shoveled off. p.m. Five Tibetans plus pushups/squats/cable curls plus a little more shoveling. It's 3:45 and I'm pretty hungry, after my banana. So I'm having a porter until dinner.
2/3-Sun-a.m. Walked Gus 1.5+M; 20 degr. F-not terrible. no other exercise today.
2/4-Mon-a.m. Walked doggie in very pleasant almost spring like temps. Did banana mod again. Having turkey wrap and macaroni and cheese for dinner. planning on doing some exercises later, worked rest of morning from home. Having a Blue Moon, mango wheat ale with dinner.
2/5-Tues-a.m. Walked Gus in near spring-like temps. last week we were at zero, even 20 degrees 2 days ago. p.m. -Five Tibetans, pushups, squats and cable stuff. Daughter making pasta carbonara for dinner. Had a large plate with a mango wheat ale. Should hold me well until breakfast.

2/6-Wed-a.m. Walked Gus; started to rain so cut it short. p.m. Five Tibetans and pushups,squats, cable curls and rows. Lite db presses.
P/u's def. feeling better, doing them daily. lg. navel orange for afternoon mod with chamomille tea. Md. crab soup(cup) and BLT for dinner, few fries.
2/7-Thur-a.m. Walked dog 1.5+M. Orange & chamo tea for morning mod. May do a 2nd orange this afternoon. Going to skip five tibetans and just do more squats and pushups a little later. Added cable curls. still rebuilding a torn bicep tendon that was repaired along with my shoulder work last year. I can't imagine what pro athletes go through when they reach my age, or earlier.
(I found this video interesting that some younger guy did a 30 day-challenge routine of 100 pushups a day and nothing else. He lost five pounds but an astonishing 3 inches from his waist measurement. May not appeal to the ladies due to his choice of exercise, but I think the message is to keep an activity simple and focus on that.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLK0q9Gj90o
Sorry I don't know how to embed a video, like I'm able to on other sites.
2/8/19-Fri-a.m. Walked dog, windy and felt colder than thermometer reading. At 11:00 a.m. I'm ready for lunch, but will wait, was up at five eating my breakfast. Latest annoyance is our new above ground pool(installed last summer) must be leaking somewhere near the bottom. The water level has gone down over last 3 days substantially, and remaining ice block is pulling the cover very tight. I installed for the grandkids primarily, and have a lot of experience with this type of pool. Maintained and installed another one over 14 years with my own kids. This liner must have a defect on the bottom since I cant see any water around the perimeter and how slowly it's going down. So glad I didn't start the deck last summer. Removing the sod and grading the base was a real chore, plus the couple tons of stones I used to landscape afterwards. That's life.
2/9-Sat-a.m. Cold windy walk with Gus-leak in pool stopped because it frozen-LOL. Fighting off a sore throat so i skipped any addl. exercise.
2/10-Sun. a.m. Walked dog in 15 degr. F, but no wind. Forecast for tonight and Mon. is light snow-2-4 inches. p.m.-Pushups/Squats /cable curls/leg raises.
2/11-Mon- back to shoveling snow in morning. No walk today, snowed all day again, but not a lot of accumulation. p.m.-Five Tibetans, pushups/squats/cable curls.
2/12-2/13-Tues-Wed-No walk or exercises yesterday except shoveling a heavy wet snow for about 20-30 minutes. Rained all day after snow. Nice beef roast in crockpot for dinner with baby potatoes and carrots. Small dinner roll. Stout before dinner.
Wed. a.m. Cold windy walk with Gus, cut it short about 1M due to icy sidewalks and streets. Light flurries again today. p.m. Five Tibetans(abbrev); pullups/pushups/squats/cable curls. Going to have a Mango wheat ale before dinner.
2/14-15-Thurs/Fri-a.m. Walked dog both days. Afternoon workout Thurs, pullups/pushups/leg raises/cable curls.. banana and orange mods on thursday. Fri-bike ride with grandson, finally warm enough and no ice on roads to do that. Snow supposed to arrive again Sunday. GS and I did a 2nd bike ride, he just turned 6 a month ago, and wanted to race me on our dead end street. Gave him a very short head start and he beat me handily. Dinner with gk's was pizza, and I had one piece too many putting my plate over the limit. Pretty tired last evening with all the outdoor activities. Had banana and orange for mod's but didn't help eventually.
2/16-Sat-a.m. planned walk with dog later, beautiful sunny day before weather supposedly turns tomorrow, and 2nd storm to following Wed. Winter time in Pa. I've been watching two different off-grid folks in center and northern Ontario on youtube, and it makes Pa. look like the tropics. p.m. -Pullups/pushups/squats/leg raises/cable curls-Am considering wearing a knee brace for squats and bike riding; haven't worn one since h.s. football. Mango wheat ale before dinner.
2/17& 2/18-Sun-Walked in morning with Gus, no other exercises. Smoked pork chop for dinner, mashed potato, cup of clam chowder
-Mon-a.m. Cold windy walk with dog. p.m. -pullups/pushups/squat/cable curls and presses/leg raises-Oatmeal with banana for breakfast. small ham and cheese sandwich on roll for lunch with glass of milk.
2/19-Tues. a.m. walked dog-p.m. -same routine as prev. day. Ate breakfast for dinner-eggs/bacon/wheat toast & homefries with onions-didn't finish all homefries on plate. Had a dark stout earlier.
2/20-Wed.-about 6 inches of snow followed by sleet and still raining on top. Just finished about 40 minutes of heavy shoveling-that will be it for day. ate 2 soft tacos w/ground beef/cheese/lettuce for lunch. Dinner-toasted cheese sandwich with ham & tortilla soup, green tea, coffee afterwards.
2/21-Thus-a.m. Walked Gus in snowy fog, visibility about 1 block, he was stopping to eat chunks of ice along the way. p.m. Five Tibetans-pullups/pushups/cable curls/squats-Sun has come out, very pretty snow covered landscape(now that I don't have to drive to work in it) today's mods were a banana and cup of mint tea in afternoon.
2/22-Fri-a.m. -nice weather for walking Gus-1.5M-Many probably think that's too short a distance to do any good. As someone who often walked 2.5-4.0 M a few times a week I probably would have previously agreed. The difference at least for me, is it's now a daily walk and a pace I probably used 15-20 years ago. The first time or two, it would have been a little hard to have a conversation since I was huffing more than expected. Now it's a comfortable pace. Chamomille tea for mid -morning break, we're out of bananas. 12 y.o. granddaughter baked home-made pizzas last evening with GM's help. They're actually very good.
2/23-a.m. Walked Gus 1.5 M. p.m. workout lots of squats&pushups/leg raises/cable curls- a few pullups. Pushups are starting to feel pain-free or close to it. I believe we're doing spaghetti and meatballs for dinner/Italian bread
2/24-Sun-a.m. Walked dog in damp 37 degrees-F. p.m.-Pullups/pushups/squats/leg raises/cable curls-I think we may be having dinner out tonight. Change of plans, wife was fighting a headache all day plus we've been getting very high wind gusts so we stayed home. I made us ham & egg omelots for dinner, had mine on 15 grain whole wheat toast, mango wheat ale plus coffee with mine.
2/25-Mon-a.m. no planned dog walk, we had high wind gusts all day and was picking up neighbor's garbage blowing in yard several times today, blew over large blue recycle bins full of bottles, cardboard, plastic, etc. blocked it large garden bricks and it blew over again. While doing this, I had Gus by my side and when my attention was distracted, he took off to visit a Lab in next neighborhood that he sees when we walk. Nice lady had him on a leash when I caught up with him. I did spend about 30 minutes walking in a nearby wooded area looking for him, so got some exercise. p.m. -did an abbrev. routine of pullups/pushups/squats/leg raises and cable curls at about half my normal sets. Day was red for sure.
2/26-Tues-a.m. Walked Gus-22 degrees F. again. No added exercise in afternoon. Ham with pineapple for dinner/noodles/corn/salad.
2/27-2/28- Wed a.m. Walked dog in morning, p.m. wasn't feeling well, ate lightly all day
Thurs-a.m. Walked Gus our usual route- ate 2pcs. 15 grain WW toast with strawberry jam, coffee, sm. glass of milk and some pineapple for breakfast.
Last edited by Whosonfirst on Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

Whosonfirst

Re: Whosonfirst's Check In & Exercise Log

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:53 am

3/1/19-Friday-a.m. Walked between snow falls today with Gus, supposed to get two more snow/sleet events this weekend. p.m. -Five Tibetans and pushups/squats and cable curls. Day was a fail. Been fighting a sinus headache(not severe) for a couple days. We had cheeseburger pie and green beans for dinner. Been requesting wife to make it for a while, so she gave in today. It's more of a quiche than a cheeseburger, had two small to medium pieces. Mango wheat ale before dinner.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

Staff Assistant III

Post by Staff Assistant III » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Ha, I’m in the Philly end of PA so we are having similar snow/sleet events. Just want to stay in by the fire and read!
No S start date 1/11/19

BMI Jan 19 22.7, FEb 19 22.9

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:25 pm

Whosonfirst wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:53 am
3/1/19-Friday-a.m. Walked between snow falls today with Gus, supposed to get two more snow/sleet events this weekend. p.m. -Five Tibetans and pushups/squats and cable curls. Day was a fail. Been fighting a sinus headache(not severe) for a couple days. We had cheeseburger pie and green beans for dinner. Been requesting wife to make it for a while, so she gave in today. It's more of a quiche than a cheeseburger, had two small to medium pieces. Mango wheat ale before dinner.
Hello SAIII-My sister and nephew live in Philly. We're in York.
3/2-3/3-Sat a.m. Walked Gus both days, no p.m. exercises Saturday.Shoveled very heavy snow on Saturday morning about 45 minutes. Sun p.m. pushups/squats/leg raises/back bends/cable curls. Quaker oats with banana for breakfast. Home made pizza for dinner.
3/4-Mon. a.m. Shovelling with gloves on-1+hour, walked Gus, beautiful snowscape, trees covered, sunny. At one point we walked under a large evergreen and got a snowy shower from the wind blowing off the branches. He was in his happy zone walking on snow. Oatmeal with banana for breakfast, 15 grain w.w. toast with strawberry jam, coffee.
p.m. Pullups/pushups/squats/leg raises/back bends/cable curls.
3/5-Tues-a.m. Drove wife to Dr. apt, then brkfst at fam. restrnt- eggs, bacon, toast, hash browns, coffee. Walked Gus, very cold but sunny, light wind. p.m. 5TBR's, pullups/pushups/squats/cable curls. Spaghetti and meat balls, small salad ranch dressing. Had a Blue Moon Belgian Ale with dinner. Posting my NoS compliance on the March challenge thread.
3/6-Wed-a.m.-Cold windy walk with Gus, 13 degrees F,but wind made it a bit challenging. Banana mod. in morning. p.m. Pullups/squats/pushups/cable curls-only did 1 set of 25 squats, something felt wonky in my r. knee. Had jogged a few times during our walk in morning basically to get warm, my knee didn't like it. Dinner was Texas style chicken, baked potato, cole slaw. Belgian ale before dinner.
3/7-Thurs-15 grain WW toast with strawberry jam & Gevalia coffee/OJ; oatmeal a little later. p.m. Walked dog in afternoon. No after exercise, unless you count carrying groceries into house. My wife had a two hour therapy session in morning and wasn't feeling well the rest of day, so I made omelots with bacon for dinner. Had mine with Arnolds multi-grain toast, really like this brand. I also had a lime & lager before dinner. I know that's a great combination, right.
3/8-Fri-a.m. English muffins(2) with colby cheese and hard salami pieces for breakfast-walked Gus our usual route, 13 degr. but no wind. p.m.-Squats/pullups/pushups/leg raises/back bends/cable curls. After a rough start in March, have managed to put four green days in a row. Had 2 beer limit on Friday, and woke up with dry mouth, so I'll probably quit after one.
3/9-Sat. a.m. Walked Gus our usual route, in a sunny, balmy 31 degrees, supposed to be in the 50's tomorrow. So my newest guitar song I'm learning is Dream On, pretty challenging for someone who is between beginner and intermediate. Here's how this ties into NoS, if you're feeling some mild hunger pangs and thinking about snacking between meals, pick up the guitar, and before long it's lunch or dinner time. Not sure if that works for bingers. p.m. Pullups & pushups in a superset/squats/leg raises/back bends/cable curls. When I don't do the full five Tibetan rites, I usually include the 5TbR back bends into the mix because it makes my spine and neck feel good.
3/10-Sun-a.m. Walked Gus in light drizzle/mist, had to towel him off when we got home. Now in the afternoon, it's sunny and looks like spring. p.m. -light dumbbell work-upper body-presses/rows/curls. We're having roast beef for dinner in the crock pot; smell is driving me bonkers.
3/11-Mon-a.m.-Walked Gus in morning- p.m. nada activities-Hot turkey sandwich and mashed potatoes for dinner. no beer or coffee(wasn't feeling great in afternoon)
3/12-Tues-a.m. Breakfast was 1/2 lg. pancake, 1 egg, & 2 sausage links with coffee. Walked Gus the usual route-very windy- Gus was a rescue from either NJ or Kentucky(not sure), he's a handsome, black flat-coat retriever mixed with either a Newfoundland or Australian shepherd. Our vet thinks the latter but his records said Newfoundland. He's very high energy and loved to "herd" our cat, so we think the vet might be correct. He looks a lot like a lab with a longer, wavy coat. p.m.-ate a very light lunch, wasn't very hungry, now I am LOL. Afternoon exercises-Pullups/Pushups superset/ leg raises/Dbell curl+press/DB rows-skipping squats for a few days, wonky knee. may have to visit doc to see what's up. Doesn't hurt to walk at all, jogging is another matter. Planned dinner is salad and wife's ravioli.
Wanted to add I had both a banana and apple this morning for my mods. Shared the apple with wife. Drank too many cups of coffee today(4) so far.
3/13-Wed-a.m. Walked doggie 1.5 m-24 degr-F- some wind, Banana mod in morning-p.m.-Only pushups & pullups in afternoon.Trying to will my knee better. Except for my fruit mods(not every day) I've been sticking to a mostly vanilla NoS this month, it does get easier every day. I almost wanted to do it over the weekend too, but stuck to Reinhard's advice not to do that. One Mango wheat ale before dinner.
3/14-Thurs. a.m. planning to take walk with doggie soon. Done-p.m. few pushups/cable curls-Dinner/bbq ham/half baked pot/salad
(I just read back through several of my last few months posts and realize how repetitive(boring) they must be. Sorry for making your eyes bleed. I have the self perception to know what a creature of habit I am. I will start abbeviating my posts with some kind of shorthand for the sake of brevity)
3/15-Fri-Wlkd dog-played baseball with grandson.
3/16-Sat-a.m. Wlkd dog-very cold and windy
3/17-Sun-a.m.-Wlks dog usual rte p.m. PlUps/PsUps/Sq/LRs/BkBnds/CC's/Db C+P/Rows-2 pcs. of leftover pizza for lunch-feel blah.
3/18-Mon. a.m. Wkd Gus & Gs-bike ride with Gs- brkf-oatmeal with banana & eng. muffin/strwbry jam. p.m. pl-ups/ps-ups/sq/lr's/bbs/cable curls-knee not happy w/bike ride.
3/19-Tues-a.m. Wlkd dog. -oatmeal w/banana; eng. mffn w/blk rspbrry jam/coffee-p.m. only activ's kneeling and redoing flooring in our recr. room. -dinner, pork fried rice and 1/2 egg roll(I'll be hungry in 5-4-3-2----) apple mod in afternoon.
3/20-Wed-a.m. Wlkd dog. eggs/ bacon/WW toast for brkfst. p.m. PlUps/PshU/LR/Bb's/CC's-dinner smoked pork chop/salad/msh pot./coffee-banana mod in morning.
3/21-Thur-Wife & I had brkfst at local diner-3/4 pancake, 1 egg, 2 links, coffee-Probably no walk today, supposed to get an inch of rain in the northeast. p.m.-P/U's,p/u's/sq/db pr/cc's/lr's/bb's
3/22-a.m.-wlkd dog- usual rte-oatmeal w banana & eng. muffin-brkft.
3/23-3/24-Sat&Sun- Walked dog both days. Eating Sat was NOT good.
Last edited by Whosonfirst on Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 am

Gotta ask, what are the Tibetans you're mentioning? Is it this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Tibetan_Rites

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:23 pm

liveitup wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:57 am
Gotta ask, what are the Tibetans you're mentioning? Is it this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_Tibetan_Rites
Yes, that's them. Here's a good video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8RMuXIZAtA

3/25-Mon. a.m.-Wkd Gus. brkfst-eng mffn/jam/coffee/oatmeal & banana-p.m.-worked on flooring, more tomorrow, no reg. exer's
3/26-Tues-a.m. Wkd dog-p.m. worked on rec room flooring
3/27-Wed-a.m. Wkd dog.-p.m.-Wife's been sick a few days so my meals like a batchelor-pizza, brats, eggs, and of course beer(not all in one day). Activ's-PlUp/PhUps/sq/LR's/CC's/BB's-taking a few days off made pullups and pushups feel stronger(no surprise)-banana mod. w/herbal tea in afternoon
3/28-Thur-a.m. Wkd dog. Brkfst-oatmeal w/banana & eng. muffin. p.m. worked the PlUps&PhUps pretty hard/LRs/Sq/BB's/CC's. Clearly didn't eat enough for lunch, paying for it now. Have a Sam Adams to take off the edge, wife's feeling better and has cabin fever, so we'll probably go out for dinner. I bought some protein meal suppliments for days I eat lightly, so far i've only used one.
3/29-Fri-a.m. Wkd dog-eng. muffin/jam and protein drink/coffee-p.m. -few PlUps&PhUps/DB Pr/Db Rows/Curls/LR's/Sq(few)-afternoon mods/ 2 sm clementine oranges&blkbrry tea-dinner: salisbury steak w/mushrooms, mashed potatoes w/gravy/cole slaw.
3/30-3/31-Sat-Sun-eating was a bit over the top on Sat. Walked Gus both days-Sat. p.m. Pullup&Pushups/Cable curls-Fin. March 17/21 days in the green. p.m. PlUps/PhUps/Db C+Pr/Db rows/Sq- - 5 TBR's first
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:30 pm

April's Log-
Tracking NoS compliance on the April challenge thread.

4/1-Mon-a.m. Wlkd Gus ~1.5M-below freezing again and very windy-Brkfst toast w/jam, half a protein drink & piece of cheese and hard salami-lol. p.m. Pl/U's, ph/u's/Sq/LR's/BB's/CC's
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:37 pm

I watched that youtube video you posted and shared it with my dad. :-) He likes stuff like that.
That's not you, though, right? Different dogs, haha
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3; 8/14-24.5; 5/15-26.2; 1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6; 8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9; 3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8; 1/19-23.4; 2/19-22.7; 3/19-22.1

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:55 am

automatedeating wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:37 pm
I watched that youtube video you posted and shared it with my dad. :-) He likes stuff like that.
That's not you, though, right? Different dogs, haha
Haha, No that's Russell Lauzon, a Canadian. And most viewers love his dogs, but our dog would fit right in, same color and size, same general temperament.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:58 pm

Whosonfirst wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:30 pm
April's Log-
Tracking NoS compliance on the April challenge thread.

4/1-Mon-a.m. Wlkd Gus ~1.5M-below freezing again and very windy-Brkfst toast w/jam, half a protein drink & piece of cheese and hard salami-lol. p.m. Pl/U's, ph/u's/Sq/LR's/BB's/CC's
4/2-Tues-a.m. Wlkd dog, it's s now 8:55 and I need a banana mod already. I'm an early riser, usually around 5 a.m. sometimes earlier and don't want to have my 3rd cup of coffee this early. Working on taxes today, woohoo. After ~10 years, I've moved them from online back to long hand forms, I feel more in control of the calculations this way, after owing a fairly large unexpected amount last year. With online , everything goes into the "black box" and I was never sure if it came out correctly. It should also save me about $100 that my online services charge. I'm sort of a tax luddite it seems. Now if I could convince wife to cut off cable, of course we'd substitute something like Netflix and Hulu to replace it. Our latest cable bills are ridiculous, up $50 a month since December, and we don't rent any extra movies or shows.
p.m. no exercises. dinner, roast beef with baby potatoes and carrots in crock pot, pre-dinner ale. 1 banana mod today with chamo. tea.
4/3-Wed-a.m. Wlkd dog- worked on taxes most of day-done.
4/4-Thur-a.m. Dentist apt-came home and wlkd dog-he was rarin' to go, very nice spring day. p.m. have a muscle knot in my upper back, so I've skipped any calisthenics or other exer's these last couple days.
4/5-Fri-a.m. Wlkd Gus in cold drizzle-so cut it short. p.m.-Not a good day NoS wise, been nursing a sore upper back-so my will power sucks.
4/6-Sat-a.m. Wlkd dog-p.m. P/U's, p/u's,Sq,LR's,Bb's,C+Pr(db),Curls(db)-short evening dog walk in shirt sleeves
4/7-Sun-a.m. same as Sat(except no evening walk)
4/8-Mon-a.m. Wlkd Gus, cut it short, he's a bit sluggish from meds for an ear infection. Been lying by my feet since we returned. drank half of a protein drink(vanilla) with my WW toast this morning, also had 3 sm. pcs of hard salami and cheese with toast. Been trying to up my protein and fat intake which helps satiate. p.m. rode bikes about 30 mins. with g.s. but no other exer's, felt blah most of afternoon, so I skipped them.
4/9-Tues-a.m.-Wlkd Gus-While I'm not currently weighing any more, my jeans are starting to slide down my hips when I'm walking dog(No, not quite like some hip-hop artists). I shouldn't have to do much shopping if that continues, my closet is well stocked with tighter clothes from my Atkins past. I've actually been attempting to up my protein intake since I've been able to use some light weights again. Unless things change, I will probably only use doctor visits for weight checks. p.m. P/U's, p/u's, LR's, BB's, C+Pr, Rows, Curls. Short evening walk with Gus.
4/10-Wed-a.m. -Regular walk with dog. p.m. added exercise-mowing grass with self propelled mower(1.5 hrs), my tractor still needs to go into shop.
4/11-Thur-a.m. Wlkd dog-p.m. picked up, loaded and unloaded a couple hundred lbs. of lumber-late afternoon-pullups/pushups/sq/lr's/bb's/cable curls-banana mod afterwards.
4/12-Fri-a.m.-Wlkd dog. p.m. same exer routine as yday.j Five greens in a row.
4/13-14-Sat/Sun-Wlk dog both days and same exer. rtns as Fri
4/15-Mon-a.m. Took Gus for his walk, and just remarked to myself(and Gus) that the sunlight and sky were unbelievably beautiful, dark clouds on a blue sky. The light on the ground was almost surreal. This did not last 5 minutes, almost like an omen in a movie. The dark clouds started to block the sun, the wind kicked up and what was so pleasant reversed 180 degrees. We felt a few drops but not terrible. Probably had something to do with tornado warnings last evening, but none made land. It would have been a photographers dream setting earlier. p.m.--Lunch was a ham & cheese sandwich on few days old Italian bread. After cutting off the end piece, was still pretty tasty. Later-Pullups/ Pushups-60 total/Squats/Leg raises/back bends/cable curls(done in superset with pushups.
4/16-Tues-a.m.-eng. muffins and jam, half a protein drink. Banana mod mid-morning-Wlkd dog.-p.m.-Pullups/Sq/LR's/Cl+Pr/Db crls
4/17-Wed a.m.-Wlkd dog-p.m. building a bed for daughter, so no other exer.
4/18-Thurs-same activ's as yday
4/19-Good Friday-a.m. Long walk with Gus. /pushed lawn tractor from shed about 150 feet to garage(up grade) p.m. Got my usual afternoon workout in, no dumbbells today.
4/20-Sat-a.m.-Wlkd dog-p.m. shorter 1M dog walk again in evening. No other exer's. unless you count carrying a heavy bed frame out to deck to sand and return.
4/21-Sun-Happy Easter! Ate a good amount today, no candy but cake with dinner and two scoops of some kind of cookies ice cream.
4/22-Mon-a.m.-Wlkd Gus-p.m.-Cut grass with hand mower & took down 1900 Xmas tree lights from our Japanese red maple tree in front yard(yea, the day after Easter). This topped any of my recent workouts, as I had my arms above my shoulders most of the time, standing on step ladder, and manuevering between branches-beat. My neighbor wears a fit-bit, and I'd love to know how many steps I did.
4/23-Tues-a.m.-brkfst two eggs, two strips bacon, one pancake, coffee. no mods needed morning or afternoon.-Walked Gus-p.m. more woodworking -pullups and pushups only. Been a couple days, and pullups went best so far this year.short bike rides with g.s.-we mostly raced around our street and cul-de-sac. Leftover Easter ham sandwich on Pepperidge farm 15 gr. WW plus a few chips with peach tea.
4/24-Wed-a.m. Wlkd dog-worked from home rest of morning. afternoon dr. visit for wife's chronic illness.then felt ill myself later, so took an S-day.
4/25-Thur-a.m. Wlkd dog-then weeded two flower beds/gathered brush from trees lining our lot. p.m.-Pullups/pushups/Sq/LR/Cable curls
4/26-Fri-a.m. Wlkd dog. p.m.-short exer. routing in afternoon with dumbbells , squats, & leg raises. today was a struggle to stay green, rainy weather, too much sitting.
4/27-Sat-a.m. Wlkd dog as usual, wind was howling and still is, but it's sunny. Wife felt well enough to attend an annual tea with a neighbor friend, so I'm trying to work on headboard to new bed on the deck. Wind is relentless.(update on Wife's tea which was to benefit cancer-she won $100 worth of gift cards(3)-she always tells me how lucky she is with door prizes and raffles)
4/28-Sun-a.m. Wlkd dog between raindrops. p.m.-Pullups/pushups/sq/LR's/Cbl curls
4/29-Mon-a.m. Wlkd dog. p.m.-lots of squating and bending finishing/staining a bed and headboard. Very frustrating since I had it very smooth to the touch, and walnut stain on pine headboard brought out lots of tiny scratches and swirl marks. Google tells me that an orbital sander should not be used on pine, all hand sand with a block. So I get to do it all over again. Naturally I've not done a lot of work with pine, duh.
4/30-Tues-a.m. Wlkd dog-p.m. -P/U's,p/u's, db c+pr, rows, db curls, leg raises-glad this month is about over-Feel like my NoS habit and physical conditioning have done ok, but my guitar progress, not so much. Seems hard to find a happy medium on all fronts. And I want to cease working, even p.t. for our consulting company. I'm finding if difficult to tell our owner, since he's probably the nicest guy, and youngest I've ever worked for. This has abs. nothing to do with NoS, and I've been thinking about withdrawing my ramblings from here as well.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed May 01, 2019 8:22 pm

May 1-Wed-Wlkd Gus in a.m. Reg. exer routine in afternoon. Banana and chamo. tea for afternoon mod.
5/2-Thur-a.m. Wlkd Gus. Funeral for dear cousin in Lancaster county, so it's been a Red day
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri May 03, 2019 1:33 am

I'm sorry to hear that about your cousin. :cry: Sounds like you were able to attend the funeral, though; I'm glad to hear that.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3; 8/14-24.5; 5/15-26.2; 1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6; 8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9; 3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8; 1/19-23.4; 2/19-22.7; 3/19-22.1

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Fri May 03, 2019 12:35 pm

auto-thanks for the condolences.
5/3-Fri-a.m. -Wlk dog-starting rain, cut it short.-cut grass late morning so more walking/steps/bending/pulled a few weeds.
At the luncheon after funeral yday, one of my close female cousins tapped me on the waist and said, "you've lost weight." Don't know what scale says, but that gave me some affirmation for NoS.
5/4-Sat-a.m. Walked dog after rain-p.m. Dbell workout/Sq/LR's
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

liveitup

Post by liveitup » Tue May 07, 2019 3:47 am

Hope you're doing alright, Whosonfirst. :( Glad there was something small to celebrate nonetheless.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue May 07, 2019 1:19 pm

liveitup wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 3:47 am
Hope you're doing alright, Whosonfirst. :( Glad there was something small to celebrate nonetheless.
liveitup-thanks but I'm fine. My cousin had a long, very strong family-oriented life, and her life's passing was more of a celebration. I'm probably not going to post my dribble here as often. Been focusing on some projects at home, plus I need to prep. a cabin in the Pa mtns for sale and just try to be more creative/productive with my spare time. For all of you folks who have not yet retired, it's been surprising to me, that my spare time does not seem to have grown very much. I've just recently given up another time wasting hobby, that won't be missed very much.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 07, 2019 6:23 pm

I've found that I am just as good if not better at procrastinating since I retired in January as I was when I was working. With fewer excuses. You seem quite productive to me! Congrats on the habits that have resulted in looser pants.
Age 65
SBMI Jan/10-30.8
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Mon May 13, 2019 10:03 pm

5/13-Mon-Finally stopped raining long enough to walk Gus our usual route. Drove wife to yet another round of routine med. tests in morning. p.m.-reg. bodyweight exercises + Dbell workout. Been re-reading The One Thing and trying to use some of these ideas in my personal development stuff, since I no longer have a career-LOL. Had more bad news this weekend, it's been less than two weeks since we had funeral for my dear cousin from Elizabethtown, now my cousin Dale passed away. He was a former Green Beret, and from the time he was five years old, he announced that he was going to be a paratrooper, which he was. I've always been envious of people who know early on what they want to do or be. Dale's One Thing was to be a paratrooper, and his life involved a lot of adventure until he developed dementia.

The One Thing has some good ideas, and some that seem to be a little hokey. Like all self-improvement books, it gets both great and not-so-good reviews. I'm somewhere in the middle.(edit): one chapter focuses on what research says it takes to develop a new habit, like NoS, exercise routines, or any diets. The research was done by a University in London, and they kind of debunk the 21-day time frame to establish a new habit, their research has 66 days as the average, depending on how complex the habit. They did say some could be done(habits) in as few as 18 days, with some taking 254 days. Knowing that number(66), it's no surprise that we sometimes fail in a new diet or exercise program when we quit, and try to change them after a couple weeks or even several days in some cases.
Another chapter debunks the idea that multitasking is effective. I learned that independently as a young engineer, that it was total bunk. The most effective engineers all focus on only one or two projects at a time. Of course this reinforces the author's thesis on doing only One Thing, or focus on one thing.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue May 14, 2019 12:36 am

How rough for your family to suffer two losses so close together. I feel that I would have really liked your Cousin Dale and his One Thing.

I've been reading about the habit time to true establishment, as well. 66 days was a number I saw too, but honestly, I always feel like there are so many variables within one day that it is never simple like that (which I sense is what you are saying, too). To truly do it, we would never take a day off and every day would be identical in pretty much every way to every other day (so S days on weekend immediately undermine habit-development). Nonetheless, we all forge on.

Recently I've been tackling my alcohol dependence with more than half-hearted effort, and it hit me that by trying to moderate my alcohol intake, I'm actually using intermittent reward system, which if I remember correctly actually increases desire (at least in stuff like dog-training).

My retired neighbor that I often say hello to on my morning walk/jogs said to me this morning - don't ever stop your walk/jogs. Don't ever stop. And if you lose this dog, get another dog. His words have really stuck with me all day today.

Sorry to ramble on your thread. My heart is heavy for yet another loss in your family. And I know that you already do a lot to care for your wife these past few years. May you have peace, NoS friend.
Month/Year-BMI

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue May 14, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks for your thoughts auto. To be honest when a family member has been in the grasp of dementia, it always feels like a relief when they pass. It's no fun for them or their immediate family. Dale's life was so full of adventure, that we hated seeing him in this condition. Beside the military, he flew powered paragliders all over the world including off the Alps. He was a lineman for Met-Ed and they made him a supervisor one time, and he hated desk work and asked them to put him back on the "poles"(power lines). The price someone pays for this lifestyle is often their family/interpersonal life suffers.

I wish you success on your struggle with alcohol. The One Thing's thesis on habits that I agree with is, we should focus on only one thing at a time when trying to establish a new habit. This has been a problem with me at times, trying to change too many things at once.
5/14-Tues-a.m. Wlkd dog- p.m.-lots of pullups&pushups/bwt squats-ate too much pizza at dinner
5/17-Fri-Did two dog walks today. GD went along for the evening version. Did lots of pullups and pushups plus squats in garage gym this afternoon. I seem to have a slight pulled abdominal muscle. Funeral for cousin Dale was somewhat appropriate. He was married a short time and had one daughter and a couple of grandkids. The appropriate part was Sherry, his daughter had a golf driver, and putter lying beside him in his casket, plus fishing gear, a deck of cards and an unopened can of Blue Moon beer in there. And there was also a T-shirt with the printing on front saying, Uncle Dale, the Man, The Myth, The Legend, hahahaha. While he was 78, he was wearing a sport shirt, camo-military trousers, with a dress white canvas military style belt and looked like he could still do 100 pushups. And no we're not total hillbillies. We all have our funny stories, but only his brother-in-law told any during the service. And my NoS has totally sucked this week, since we also got some disturbing news from wife's tests, but we'll cross that bridge in a week or two.
5/20-Mon-a.m./p.m. Wlkd dog twice again. Abdom pull is better so I did pullups/pushups/Deadlifts/bwt squats in garage gym. Walmart was out of my favorite protein shakes. Tried another brand last week and it was too sweet. Been drinking that to suppliment my breakfasts some days. While this is off topic for NoS, I should get back to making my own protein shakes, which I did for at least a few decades. Can be done fairly inexpensively with either skim milk, or instant powdered milk, egg(s), peanut butter if you like that, banana, and some flavoring. Whey or soybean protein powder can be used rather than eggs, or in addition to.
5/21-Tues-a.m./p.,m. two doggie walks again today. The 2nd one after dinner seems to make me sleep like the dead when I hit the sack. No other exercise routine as I weeded all our flower beds today and planted a new azalea. Spaghetti with meatballs and salad for dinner. One pre-dinner mango wheat ale. Guitar practice has been sporadic.
5/22-Wed-a.m. walked Gus early morning-more light gardening. Shooting for an afternoon exercise session.-done. 2nd dog walk in evening. Dinner, smoked pork chop, baked potato, sour cream & salad w/blue cheese&croutons.
5/24-Fri-a.m. Wlkd dog, been doing an evening walk all week but shorter-Wife & I went out for lunch, had ranch chicken&bacon wraps + cup of Italian wedding soup, way too much.Dinner will be light, maybe a salad. I haven't been weighing but am obviously trimmer from all the walking + garage gym workouts. My usual summer activ's. usually are good for -5 to -7 lbs irregardless of eating patterns.
5/25-Sat.-two dog walks again, but no added exercise other than mowing grass. Decided to take a rest. Ate too much for dinner.
5/26-two more doggie walks. addeed heat & humidity seem to have slowed Gus down on latter half of walk. He's a black dog, so I may have to shorten up in heat of summer or go before sun is in full force. Did my garage workout-darn, my one sore knee has moved to other side now.
5/27-Happy Memorial Day. Thanks to all veterans for their service. We did our early morning dog walk. Plus afternoon garage gym workout+evening walk. Trying some easy knee flexion moves first that seem to help. Seems its a soft tissue problem and not joint. I do want to look for some knee braces this week, I always hated wearing any braces going back to h.s. football. I did get some guitar practice this weekend, working on Keith Richard's solo for Brown Sugar.
5/29-Wed. early morning hot& humid walk with Gus. Had tornadoes in our region last night again. More possible the next few days.
We're headed into Med center this afternoon, wife is getting a biopsy. Hoping for the best. Already eating cookies+ two breakfasts. Oh, plus half a protein drink. I'm about as underfed as the Michelin Man.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu May 30, 2019 1:15 am

Best wishes to you and your wife. Hope it's all good.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu May 30, 2019 2:01 am

HappyHerder has been going really slow on the hot afternoons too...he's an ultra hairy Australian Shepherd and prefers as cold as it can be. :-)

Hope the biopsy news is excellent.
Month/Year-BMI

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Thu May 30, 2019 9:31 am

automatedeating wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:01 am
HappyHerder has been going really slow on the hot afternoons too...he's an ultra hairy Australian Shepherd and prefers as cold as it can be. :-)

Hope the biopsy news is excellent.
Thanks for the well wishes, it went well and now we wait. Gus is half Australian Shepherd and half flat coat retriever. Talk about a vacuuming nightmare. He's my main walk-buddy and probably responsible for my improved conditioning and some weight loss. With the bad storm last evening and threats of tornadoes, we missed his evening walk.

5/30-After my blowout the last couple days, vanilla NoS is challenging today. I ate an early breakfast around 5:00 a.m. so noon still seems to be a ways off. early morning dog walk. Afternoon workout, lots of pushups/pullups /dbl kbell squats/bb curls.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:55 pm

6/1-Sat-Opened pool for grandkids yesterday, clean-up continues today. Cooked out last evening and ate too much. Walked both yesterday morning and today. Took a rest on Friday from added exercises after a tough session Thursday. Shooting for a good NoS month on compliance. Still using fruit mods when needed.
6/4-Tues-Gus injured a paw on our morning walk, came up limping. Daughter is taking him to her Vet in the morning. So much for good start on compliance this month-two fails to start the week. We got the word this morning that wife has breast cancer, but good prognosis due to size and early detection. Still a fairly lengthy ordeal ahead. Meet with a surgeon & oncologist on Friday. p.m.-good afternoon workout consisting of assisted pullups(for higher reps), pushups 5 x 10, and 4 sets of 5 deadlifts with barbell.
6/5-Will take day off from walking-Gus is limping and my toe is sore-trying to get back on track with NoS compliance after my crappy start. News yesterday made it a WTH type of day. At least it wasn't a total blowout eating wise.
6/6-D-Day--75 years ago, thousands of brave Americans, British, Canadians, Australians, French, and others stormed the beaches of Normandy to liberate the French from Nazi rule. The bond between the French and Americans goes back over two centuries. It was great seeing President Macron bestowing the Legion of Honor upon several surviving WWII veterans. Truly a great generation.
a.m. -taking Gus on a shortened walk this morning, seems he only had a sprain. p.m. garage gym workout-few pullups, Db curl+press, Rows, Dbl. kbell squats, curls, pushups.- dinner cup of maryland crab soup & BLT+coffee
6/7-Fri-Met with surgeon this morning. We've had or will have 5 dr. apts. or procedures over the next 8 calendar days. At least they've got things moving quickly, which suits my wife(& me). All her Dr's and nurses have been super professional and very helpful with answering questions. Took Gus on his reg. walk afterwards. I ate too little for breakfast and will probably have my lunch early rather than snack at 11:30 a.m. p.m.-took an early evening doggie walk-no other exercise today. Spaghetti & meatballs for dinner with tossed salad.
6/8-Sat.-a.m. early walk with Gus-his leg is healed it appears.- afternoon workout of mostly pullups/pushups/deadlifts-back felt a little tight yday, so I probably needed a rest day.
6/9-Sun. a.m./p.m. 2 dog walks(pretty much our routine now), 2nd walk is usually only 1 mile or less.-afternoon garage gym workout-with dumbells and kettlebell squats. dinner was roast/bbq-d pork with rice and corn on the cob+tossed salad. going to try to go green all this coming week, if that's possible. Although I did get some guitar practice in this week, feel distracted by other things to focus like I should.
6/10-at Med center at 7:30 today -Walked Gus & Gabe afterwards in misting drizzle-then rode bikes. afternoon garage workout-pullups/pushups/Kbell snatches 7s x 5/5r-16kg.-just getting back into these-try to do them on the minute-like to work up to 10 sets of 10 on each side--probably on the 2:00' mark.-only do these 1 or 2 times weeks. -= dinner tonight will be homemade pizza, which has become a family favorite.
6/11-Tues-2 walks today, cooked out on grill, didn't overeat like last time. Spent a long time in dr's. office today, although most of it was in waiting room, baseline test for wife was fairly short.
6/12-Wed. a.m.-Walked Gus- broke a molar in back eating potato salad during lunch.-Dentist is seeing me this afternoon, hopefully to epoxy a large piece back in. Hate to pay for another crown, which would be the 2nd one in the last year. Planning an afternoon workout in garage gym.(update) Dentist fixed my crown that he put in 9 mos. ago, free of charge. He said the bond failed. Walked Gus after dinner, he was happy.
6/13-Thurs-a.m. walked Gus between the raindrops. p.m. Wife had her surgery today, Dr. said her lymph nodes were clear, we now have to wait for the biopsy results, but it looks promising. She came home a little wobbly, but in good spirits. Glad this is over for now until we start her treatments. She's a real trooper.
6/14-Fri-a.m./p.m. two dog walks again- hit my two beer limit before and after dinner. Afternoon garage gym workout-weather was perfect today but a little windy. 70 degrees, low humidity-Pullups/pushups/Dbl Kbell squats/Dbell press & curls(threw in everything since I missed 3 days. Eating was hit & miss all week.
6/15-6/16- Sat/Sun. a.m.-dog walks both mornings, no added exer on Sat-played with grandkids in pool instead. so far this weekend has been a cookies, pretezels, stickie bun extravaganza. Back on June challenge tomorrow.
I'll turn 69 next Thanksgiving. Early last evening, I was sitting on our deck with my wife and daughter watching the grandkids swim in the pool, as I looked at the sliding glass door, I saw my Dad smiling back at me in my own reflection. Happy Father's Day Dad, we all miss you.
Current Wt= 210 -8/2018

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 pm

Glad to hear about the biopsy news. I'm sorry your wife and you are having to go through this. I was touched by your seeing your dad in your reflection. My mom's in there even though I don't look that much like her :)