Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oolala53
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In
View previous topic :: View next topic  
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a $30 scale that supposedly has an app that records body fat for me. The reviews were good but the price seemed too good to be true. We'll see!
oolala53

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It records it without telling you?

There wouldn't be much fluctuation on a daily basis on body fat. If your scale shows much, it's not accurate. A deficit of 100 calories would burn up only the space of one tablespoon of fat on the body. That couldn't account for much of a percent. But it is interesting to have it. Mine is off by about 8%. It's too high! But I know it so I don't freak. It's very hard to affect so I ended up just going by weight, even though fat loss is ideal.

I had decided to stop eating after an afternoon event left me very full around 4 p.m. Then i went to another one where they had snacks out. not especially good ones, but I found myself looking them over. I knew I'd be sorry if I had any, and now I'm not sorry. I'm NEVER sorry I didn't eat!

Going to an Indian cooking class tomorrow. I never actually make any of the recipes, but I enjoy the class and the food. I feel like it I would need to practice before I make any of the foods for other people and they are so much work, I can't see practicing! but I want to learn to make some surefire potluck dishes, not that I get invited to them often. I tend to hang out with vegetarians, many of whom don't eat much dairy, either. Maybe tomorrow will have candidate foods. I know one thing. I'll be full when I leave. I often don't have dinner after the class. The teacher has a friend who invented a machine that makes chapati and oh, are they good! Fresh and hot! But they aren't served with every dish. We'll see about tomorrow.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

There is no S better than Vanilla No S.
automatedeating

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely looking for long-term trends on my body fat composition. I dearly wish I had bought this this a year ago. Oh, well. So you have one that does that? And it is off by 8% (too high)? How do you get your more accurate reading done? Is it by calipers or in a water tank or something? In college I did the water tank. That was fun.

Unfortunately, the scale does show the weight/pounds, although I suppose you could just not look down? Just stand there for 10 seconds and all the data is sent via bluetooth to my phone, so I don't see it. You would have to open the app on your phone to see your numbers. It collects all the trendlines for me. I just literally got it last night, so still learning.
oolala53

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to a service in San Diego that has a mobile unit that does DEXA scans. The past couple of years, they've come periodically and parked outside a gym that's about a 7-minute drive from my house. It's a little pricey but I have no progeny and no real desire lo leave a legacy! I go once a year. I try to time it about a week after my spring regeneration round of eating.

If had the scale and app you talk about, I guess at some point I'd have to look at the data or why have it?

Last year, I learned that surprisingly since I had done no consistent exercise that I had lost some percentage of body fat, mostly around my middle and gained some muscle. Go figure. I'm almost afraid to go this year because I have been even more of a slug. But it's not personal! Is my mantra. I'm not even sure why I do it, though it does include a bone density reading that was also good news. I say every year, wow, THIS year I'll get serious about exercise and see how that affects things and then I sit on the couch.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/13-24.9 Stayed at +/- 8-lb. for three years Sept/17 22.8 (but more fluctuation)
Mar/18 22.2

sharon227

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you make healthy eating choices - less refined carbs specifically - you may lower your overall body fat. So I've read. (Which would help explain why my body fat composition is very high even though I exercise almost daily and my BMI has never been above normal.)
oolala53

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Sharon, though I've been at this for nine years and probably eat a lot fewer refined carbs than most over the course of a year. (I'm going through a phase of eating more lately because of some other changes I'm making and I don't want to put too many clamps on my eating.) I'm actually not trying specifically to lower my body fat or even my weight, though I don't complain when it goes down! I know that sounds paradoxical since I do get the scans but it's mostly because I wanted to see how my muscle is doing as I age. Also paradoxical since I do so little about it consistently. Another of our inanities in life? I guess I think eventually the discrepancy will kick in and I'll do something different with regards to exercise. But it doesn't have to change my body composition for me to think it is successful, just as my eating can be successful for me even if I don't lose weight. I'm not willing to do much more than I am for any reason besides just finding a routine that fits my hunger/satisfaction/pleasure criteria. Vanilla worked for years but hasn't for awhile, so I experiment. I don't go into a lot of details here, or I go into fewer then there are because- well, just because. I'm actually trying to get less caught up in it all, though having retired in the last few weeks has sent me back here and to Spark. More fun than the stuff I should be doing! Or just part of the old obsession.

I don't recommend at all relying on eating completely for weight loss even though that's all I've done to get to where I am. I don't think I'd be a lot leaner, but I'd probably carry a few more pounds than I do and it gets more important as I age. Not to mention that I'd be stronger and probably have better balance, also an issue for aging.

I'm going to go make my decaf au lait and lift a few weights!
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

sharon227

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exercise is great for my general physical and mental health. I do it to feel good, physically and mentally, and don't think about whether it helps or doesn't help my weight loss/maintenance. Geez, I really ought to think about my eating the same way. I'm not obsessed about exercising the way I am about food. Definitely worth a mind re-set!

Finding a routine that fits your hunger/satisfaction/pleasure criteria sounds very wise. I guess I'm still working on something like that without realizing it. A very useful way to look at it, thank you!
Soprano

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend yoga as a good exercise it has physical and mental benefits.

Last year I followed my half hour video very sporadically, this year I'm trying to commit to twice a week as there are so many benefits.

Jx
oolala53

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoga is a maybe. I actually taught yoga decades ago! I was never very limber but I knew the details of basic poses very well and they needed someone at a small center. It didn't actually do for me what I hoped, but it's still a good movement system. First priority is working up to 14 minutes of vigor similar to intensity of Shovelglove but without the hammer. I have too much equipment to buy anything! I'll aim at bodyweight exercises, weights, and rope jumping. Then walking. Will probably throw some yoga in, too, espec. for hips.

Felt too full in the afternoon even though I didn't take in that much food. Oh, well. I felt good most of the evening, though, and now good before bed.

I was going to say that I I might start tracking food just to see but I'm going to wait until February. January is just about having breakfast not earlier than 10.
Jan/12-26.8
Mar/18 22.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Daily Check In All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: