flyingpig checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Teammoney

Re: flyingpig checkin

Post by Teammoney » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:50 am

That is so good that you are sharing with your students. That must be inspiring for them to get out and move!

We went vegan for a month before but couldn’t keep it up. We like our milk products. I wish we could though. I’m also reading through all of the very old threads on the general discussion and there are at least two successful vegans on there.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:50 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast: porridge with peanut butter, extra nuts, banana and cinnamon (had to make up for it being made with water by adding All The Things)
Lunch: black bean and bulgur wheat salad, an apple and a little orange
Dinner: tofu and veg stir fry

My students didn't ask :cry:
To be fair to them, I only actually taught for an hour today so they didn't have much time for a chat. And also I didn't jog today :oops:... But I did walk to work and back :D
Last edited by flyingpig on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:04 pm

Thursday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast
Lunch: black bean and rice salad, an apple and a little orange
Dinner: vegan spinachy sausages, potato wedges, peas and sweetcorn

Accidentally not vegan as I had mayo with my sausages. Also there was rather too much food for dinner. But I was very grumpy so I'm glad not have dealt with that with chocolate.

Jogging fail too. Considered going swimming but work took over...
Last edited by flyingpig on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:24 pm

Forget the fails huge win re the chocolate :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Friday
Lunch: black bean and rice salad, an apple and a little orange
Dinner: green lentil and vegetable curry with naan

Phew, green week.

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Your food sounds so delicious and well done on the green week!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 am

Flyingpig! You had a green week! So happy for you! I hope you have a restful weekend and a nice break from those 10 year olds. :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3; 8/14-24.5; 5/15-26.2; 1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6; 8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9; 3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8; 1/19-23.4; 2/19-22.7; 3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:29 pm

It's been a while since I had a green week, so glad I started the year with a green week.

Weekend has definitely been a release. I've tried to stay vegan. Yesterday (Saturday) was very close- but I did eat a looooot of bread, a packet of cashew nuts and a pack of party rings (they're biscuits, which happen to be vegan, and also only 50p a back - dangerous discovery!).

Today was not so vegan. I ate quite a lot of chocolate caramel shortbread while I was cutting it up (to be honest I had eaten some caramel on Saturday while I was making it) and then pringles and garlic bread at youth group. I didn't have any pizza though.

Let's see if next weekend can be more vegan. Although it is my birthday so maybe not...

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 pm

Well done on the green week! The sweets are definitely the hardest to keep vegan. Especially, when you really want to enjoy them!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:13 am

Hope you have another really great week, flyingpig!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3; 8/14-24.5; 5/15-26.2; 1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6; 8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9; 3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8; 1/19-23.4; 2/19-22.7; 3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:30 pm

Monday

Lunch: black bean and quinoa salad, an orange, most of a mango
Dinner: tofu and veg stir fry

I'm glad I made the chocolate caramel shortbread now, even if it did mean eating more of it than could justifiably count as tasting to check it was OK on Sunday. It was for a church toddler group (the toddlers get fruit, the cake is for the adults) and apparently everyone really enjoyed it. One of the helpers apparently nearly cried (with happiness) when she saw it - its her favourite and she'd had a tough week. I'm all for a mostly vegan diet but there aren't many vegan foods that can inspire that kind of emotion! And I made sure I told them I didn't want any leftovers coming home so I have nothing left to tempt me. Now I've discovered it's quite easy to make, I might make it next weekend to take into work for my birthday...

In non-cake related news, jogging has been a big fail. I forgot how hard it was to get up in dark mornings and my evenings have been quite busy! Must try again...

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi Flyingpig, sounds delicious.
I’ve never done it but know lots of people who have done the couch to 25k (? Not 100% that is the name but do you know what I mean?) program if you want some extra motivation.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:16 am

Thanks the recommendation. I've actually spent about ten years doing couch to 5K, I'm now eventually on the part where you just run for 25 minutes. I'm quite impressed that I can do it, but it's just not very appealing in the dark and the rain. I don't mind it when I actually make it up and out, but I'd rather stay in bed!

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 am

Oh well done, I’m still very much on the couch part 😂. I can’t blame you with the dark and rain. Do you have the option of using a treadmill somewhere? Or run in the school gym after class?

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Tuesday
Breakfast: porridge with banana, peanut butter, nuts and cinnamon
Lunch: black bean and quinoa salad
Dinner: mushroom and barley soup, two bread rolls, two little oranges and a kiwi

I realised as I was writing that I hadn't eaten my fruit at lunch time, so I will eat it for dinner. Actually weirdly excited about that!

I got annoyed with my salad at lunchtime (it kept falling off my fork) but generally I'm quite enjoying the change from cheese sandwiches. It is more of a hassle to prepare, but more interesting to eat and (to my surprise) seems to keep me full as long. Even when I forget to eat the fruit.

Sadly no treadmill or school gym. I have considered running around the track at school (it's not a proper track, so it does get a Big Puddle, which is unfortunate) but the rain problem is there too. I think I'd also find it hard to keep going (psychologically) as when I run outside I know after halfway I'm running home :P

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Most days I really enjoy my salad lunches, no afternoon slump like with a sandwich

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Wednesday
Breakfast: porridge with peanut butter, banana, nuts and cinnamon
Lunch: black bean and quinoa salad, two little oranges
Dinner: chilli con carne, rice, tortilla chips, salad, chocolate cheese cake, berries

Had a dinner at church to meet candidates for our new vicar. It's all a bit of a palaver for everyone involved so I didn't want to add any stress with unnecessary dietary requirements (especially if I'm not actually that bothered about eating meat /dairy occasionally). Also we did a course per candidate (so main course with one, they moved tables, pudding with anther, they moved tables, tea /coffee with the final one - a sort of vicar speed dating :lol:) so I thought it was more sociable to join in with pudding. And it was delicious! Really enjoyed my tea with milk too. Maybe after January I won't have milk at home but I will have it in my tea at church/work/other people's houses.

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 pm

Sounds like quite a special day to me and totally understand why you had the pudding - even better that it was delicious!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:31 pm

Thursday

Breakfast: a banana. Snoozed the alarm clock too many times for anything else.
Lunch: tomato soup and a bread roll
Dinner: pea risotto with cannellini beans.

Almost the weekend

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Friday
Breakfast: porridge with peanut butter, nuts, banana and cinnamon
Lunch: mushroom and barley soup with two bread rolls
Dinner: chickpea curry and rice (or it will be when I get up from my post - dentist nap, I'm so hungry but also so cosy in bed)

Woo, week 2 of no-S reboot was a winner.

A little bit of weight loss news:
For background, by February last Year I'd lost almost 10kg doing no-S for a year and a bit. Then I fell off the wagon. I got back on a few times but it was not very consistent.

I've weighed myself twice in January so far. Once last week where I was almost back at my original starting weight. Once this week where I seem to have lost 3kg since then. So I'm still a good few kilos above my lowest weight but either last week's measurement was not accurate or those first few kilos have practically fallen off.

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:14 am

Oh wow, good progress

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Nice to hear this, flyingpig! You might like to take your waist, hip measurements, etc to also help keep track.
Month/Year-BMI

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:13 am

Ooh good idea! Weighing triggers me but I should totally take my measurements.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:32 am

Saturday
Had cake for dessert at both lunch and dinner but apart from that a sensible day

Sunday
My birthday :D
Went out for afternoon tea and then ate crisps for dinner. Birthday privelige.

Monday
I counted this as my work birthday. Especially as the staff newsletter made me a year younger so people kept congratulating me on my big birthday. Had some of the cake I brought in and ended the day with half a box of maltesers after dinner out with colleagues.

Tuesday
This is where it went a little out of control. The other half of the box of maltesers may have been eaten before dinner... And then some other chocolates I got for my birthday after...

Wednesday
I was so hungry at 4pm I ate (a tiny piece of) cake. Then I wth-ed and ate many biscuits, had pizza for dinner and then chocolate after.

Right, today will be green. Back on that wagon!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:04 pm

A belated happy birthday

Jx

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Yes, belated Happy Birthday! :-)
Month/Year-BMI

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:37 pm

Thanks everyone!

Back to normality now (hopefully!)

Thursday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast and an apple
Lunch: tomato soup and toast
Dinner: green lentil and veg curry, daal, rice and a lot of fruit (half a mango, half a kiwi and a little orange)

So I got a little carried away with fruit at dinner but I'd not had time to eat my lunch fruit and I was also prepping some fruit for lunch tomorrow (maybe if it's cut up in a box, it won't end up forgotten at the bottom of a bag like my little oranges keep being). Better fruit than chocolate...
Last edited by flyingpig on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Happy Birthday!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Friday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on a very small slice of toast, an apple
Lunch: mushroom and barley soup with toast, mango, kiwi and a little orange
Dinner: meat free burger, sweet potato fries and onion rings

The burger was creepily meaty - I don't normally eat fake meat, but I fancied dinner at the supermarket cafe and the sides appealed. I kinda liked it but I don't know if I want to know how they make it so juicy and meat coloured...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:06 pm

Was it an impossible burger or beyond beef? They are very realistic and tasty but don’t worry its just a vegetable protein. Im totally fine with eating them but it is slightly controversial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... dissected/

I honestly think the beef industry has a lot to do with the controversy.
💜💜💜 Please no body or food shaming. Eyes on your own plate. 💜💜💜

3/14-210 lbs;
3/19-163 lbs
7/19-176 lbs
1/20-163 lbs

Instagram "lpearlmom"

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 am

I don't think they were that fancy... or that realistically meaty. The whole meal, drink included, only cost me £6 so I imagine it was perhaps this: https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop ... %20burgers

I'm just not keen on food with ingredients I don't understand... not logical really but I think the general belief probably helps me eat a bit healthier. I try and buy things that just have one or two ingredients... unless I go down the biscuit or chocolate aisle, in which case all these principles are often quickly abandoned :oops:

Anyway, apart from pizza and pringles at youth group this evening (oh and biscuits after church), my weekend has been vegan. I ate a lot yesterday, but it was mostly fruit :D I also bought oat milk for the first time. Not convinced by it in tea, but I did like hot chocolate made with it. I tried it at a friend's house in tea and it was OK, but I bought the cheapest one and I think she had a more expensive brand. Might try it with weetabix tomorrow, though I'm still getting used to the smell of it straight out of the carton.

I'm thinking after January I'll go back to getting milk, but maybe only one or two pints a week (I used to get 3). Still pondering other foods...

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 pm

So we are a bit crazy with our milks - everyone in our house has a different one 😂. My verdict is: cashew milk is the most taste neutral one so not bad in teas (although you could also go the Austrian route and have lemon in your black tea).
Almond milk, coconut milk and rice milk are the best for hot chocolate.
Oat milk and almond milk are best for coffee.
But obviously you might have a different taste if you are experimenting.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Haha there are so many milks! My mum's fridge ends up like yours over Christmas - my brother in law has rice milk, my cousin oat and sometimes my sister will throw almond into the mix. As I'm doing this for mostly environmental reasons, I'm not convinced by almond and I imagine cashew might have similar drawbacks (can't grow in Britain, need lots of water etc).

I'm very torn because I also want to support British farmers - there are a lot of farmers near my parents who farm carefully and sustainably. But I'm not sure it's their milk I'm getting from my local supermarket.. or milkman...

And I'm not very consistent because I buy fruit and veg from far away without a second thought. I loooove mango. And peppers.

Anyway..
Monday
Breakfast: fruit loaf and jam (probably a bit too sweet but the fruit loaf needed eating)
Lunch: mushroom and barley soup, toast, mango, a little orange
Dinner: veggie sausages (for some reason these seem fine to me because they're not even trying to be meat - you can see the green etc in them), fried potatoes, peas and sweetcorn

So I think we're discovering that once I start trying to explain my food choices, I'm just a big mess of contradiction and compromise...

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:00 pm

Haha, who is not a big mess of confusion! I actually have never met any pleasant person who is 100% consistent in all their endeavours. I just bought the book Bosh! How to Live Vegan and it has some great bits in it including that vegan is something they strive for in everything in their lives not something that is actually 100% attainable unless you turn your back on society. Very interesting thoughts there and so non-judgemental. Refreshing for vegans (no offence!!) as I met my fair share of vegan fanatics.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 pm

Tuesday
Lunch: blackbean and bulgur wheat salad
Dinner: aubergine coconut curry, daal, rice

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:28 am

Wednesday

Lunch: black bean and bulgur wheat salad, two little oranges
Dinner: chocolate... Pizza... Pringles. :oops:

Mark it, move on.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:40 am

Thursday
Lunch: black bean and bulgur wheat salad, two little oranges
Dinner: pringles, aubergine coconut curry, rice, chocolate mini rolls

Urgh.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:31 pm

Damn those Pringles!
:roll:
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
3.3.19 114.5lbs

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:39 am

Friday (that's supposed to be s-day coloured)
Lunch: tomato, vegetable and red lentil soup, toast, kiwi, a bit of mango and a little orange
Dinner: pizza, salad and coleslaw followed by a brownie and a cookie

Went straight from work to an overnight reunion for the summer camp I help at. I brought a salad for dinner as I'd forgotten early arrivals would have pizza prepared for them. There wasn't masses of pizza and we ate early so I decided to have a few sweet things to get me through the rest of the evening :lol: and because enjoying a small sweet treat with friends seems reasonable :)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:04 pm

Monday
Lunch: tomato, vegetable and red lentil soup, toast, a pear
Dinner: fish finger sandwich and peas

I need to go shopping (I have no fruit except a banana - my lunch time pear was scavenged from leftover children's fruit), but feeling a bit nibbly so fear that going to a supermarket might be a terrible idea right now. Will have to make do with freezer food for another day..

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Tuesday

Breakfast: weetabix and a banana (milk is back!)
Lunch: tomato, vegetable and red lentil soup, toast, a scone with cream
Dinner: roast veg curry with rice