JWL's log

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:10 pm

James,

It's great to see you again here. I always wonder when a successful old timer goes silent whether they've just gotten too busy to keep posting (very understandable) or have relapsed to bad old habits and are slinking away in frustration and shame. I am very, very happy to hear that you've maintained such great results based on an informal, internalized no-s & other systems. And I really appreciate your popping round again to let us know.

As for the HabitCal, I like to think it's simple and straightforward (and useful), but I already have a laundry list of improvements to try to sneak in before January 1. Let me know if you have any more, or want to add your vote to something that's already been suggested.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Re: Back again!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:48 am

JWL wrote:Yes, I'm still alive! LOL

This is great, after a year of relative slackage, I didn't gain, and in fact am now back at the lowest weight I've been. This is a testament to the power of No-S and Everyday Systems in terms of habit-building; I've developed good enough habits through my history with No-S that even when I stop consciously doing the plan, I don't gain weight. Thank you, Reinhard!
Woo hoo!!!
You rawk!!!!
Glad you are back here too Freaky ;)
So happy you have maintained James!! That's fantastic :)

Have a great week.
Peace,
Debs x
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

david

Post by david » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 pm

It's great to hear from you again!

--david

JWL

Post by JWL » Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:53 pm

A few more notes I wanted to add.

First, last March I officially gave up half/half and sweetener in my coffees (my preferred sweetener was maple syrup in my iced americanos). I have been considering a move toward a vegan diet, and half and half (along with cheese) are the last 2 strongholds of dairy in my reality. So I'd been thinking about this for a while, and one dayI looked it up. The stark reality was that these 2 items were adding about 600 calories per day to my caloric intake. That was pretty much it, I just don't need those extra calories.

So I went cold turkey, missed it like crazy for a while. But now I'm used to black coffee, I still prefer iced. I've become fond of "cold-pressed" coffee, the idea is I put 1/2c of coarse ground coffee in my french press, fill the french press with cold water, and stick it in the fridge overnight. Then in the morning, pull the glass carafe out of the fridge, press it, and pour over ice. Very smooth, mellow brew, without much of the bitterness one normally associates with coffee.

The other thing I wanted to document is the new workout regimen. The other day I picked up an old, large tire from my neighborhood garage. So now I shovelglove with my 16# hammer, and between moves I use the 10# hammer to beat the tire. For this, I use an overhead motion, and almost do a full squat as I bring the hammer over my head down onto the tire.

First of all, I cannot begin to describe how satisfying this is. It's definitely a good release for anger, as I can use a sledgehammer to hit something as hard as I can without hurting anything. :-)

Secondly, this is GREAT cardiovascular exercise. I breathe deeply and methodically but within a few dozen strokes I'm breathing very heavily.

So I've been using this exercise as a sort of "windsprint," I do it until I'm out of breath a bit, then grab the 16# sledge to do those movements while I catch my breath again. Once I have my breath, I go back to the tire-beating.

Wow. Wow. Wow. What a workout.

The only drawback is that I have to do it outside; pulling this off indoors is NOT a good idea.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:31 am

Another update.

First, I've now given up coffee entirely! Or at least, as a daily necessity. I've had 2-3 cups of coffee in the past month. I endured the caffeine headaches for 2-3 days, and that was it.

Secondly, my tire is STILL buried under snow in our yard. Our plow guy covered it, and it is still under about 6-7 feet of snow at the edge of our driveway.

Gearing up for spring, though; that pile gets smaller each day.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:37 pm

Love the tire idea, sorry it's buried--damn those Maine winters!!

Good to hear from you, Freaky!

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi all,

First of all, congrats Blondie, if you read this. The cover looks great, if a bit too plasticky-fake-makeup. But what do you expect from a mass media publication! Under all that greasepaint, YOU look great! :-D

Big news today. I stepped on the scale and it read: 309.8

This is significant for 2 reasons. First, it means I'm at my lowest weight in at least 15 years if not 20. Second, it means I've now lost more than 100lbs from my highest known weight (411), though it is likely I was higher than that since I went for several years without weighing myself.

No-S and shovelglove have been big parts of this weight loss (though I started these programs when I was about 370).

I still feel like I have more weight to lose, which is more evidence that there is no "after," only "during."

Thanks Reinhard!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:19 pm

James,

Congratulations, that's amazing!

We might have to see how YOU hold up under a lot of greasepaint! :-)

(the men's magazines haven't started biting yet -- but I think it's just a matter of time)

Reinhard

david

Post by david » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:55 pm

Excellent!

--david

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:17 am

Congratulations James on your fantastic loss and habits that are sticking firm. Your tire bashing sounds like great fun as well as super cardio.

Have a fantastic 2008.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:24 pm

Excellent, Freaky! 100+ pounds is phenomenal. Wow.

And thanks for looking at the cover. Agreed, I look ridiculous, especially for a tomboy like me. :shock:
What Navin said.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:07 am

I'm really happy for you James!!!
Hugs!
:mrgreen: Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness