Everyday Systems
Home * Discussion Home
No S Diet * Shovelglove * Urban Ranger
HabitCal

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterJoin! It's free and easy. 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Too many books, not enough time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Everyday Systems General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pirateman2k

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:58 am    Post subject: Too many books, not enough time Reply with quote

I have a silly system for reading, of all things.

My problem is that I'm constantly buying new books, and I never finish my old ones.

Here's the "finishing" system.

I have a stack of 5 books next to my bed. These are the "current" books. I also have two folders next to my bed, both labeled "to read". The front one is a "closed" folder, meaning I never add to it--I only read and take out articles. The back one is an "open" folder, meaning I add new articles to this one when I get new magazines in the mail or new articles that I've printed from the internet. I never read from the "open" folder. When I finish off the "closed" folder, it becomes the "open" folder and vice versa. This is a silly trick, but gives you a nice feeling of completion when you work your way through the closed folder.

I roll a die, and read the book in the stack corresponding to the number on the die. When I roll a six, I read an article from the closed folder.

As long as I want to continue reading, I put the book down on the top and roll again. If I roll and don't want to read that book or article, or I'm just done, I'm done. If I get absolutely sick of a book, I'm welcome to chuck it.

Either way, I pick new books from my backlog and put them in the bottom of the pile when I drop below 5 books in the pile.

That's it--I get enough variety that I'm not constantly starting new books, but not so much that I never finish them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Everyday Systems Forum Index -> Everyday Systems General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: